Pages

12 January 2009

before i was here...

before i was there...

i found this old photo, of my maternal grandmother with all her grandchildren (at the time). i was the last to arrive (i am eight years younger than the second youngest). i marvel at photos like these for several reasons. i am always fascinated by my culture. we are all full-blooded puerto ricans and yet look at how different we all look (my grandmother had blonde hair and blue eyes and when she lived in new york was often mistaken for being jewish). i wondered how life was back then, in her time, in the time of her children and the early lives of her grandchildren. the history of family should not be lost and i suppose i should learn more stories of both sides of my family before the story tellers before me have gone...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful photo. I love family photos!
ps- your print in the last post is so cute too!

Unknown said...

thank you so much! i love old photos too and will be posting more soon...

Violet Folklore said...

This is the coolest photo! I love the 70sishness of it. How special :-)