Pages

04 June 2009

a little mockingbird...

Late last night my brother found an injured baby bird which appears to be a mockingbird. He actually rescued it from luke our cat.  We made him a little makeshift home and I just prayed that he would make it through the night. 
This morning I went to check on him and thankfully, he is still here (as I am typing this, I can hear his little chirps)! Unfortunately, as I was taking Natalie to school, I saw another baby bird, sprawled out dead on the driveway. Nattie didn't see this but my heart sank. As I returned, I saw on the other side of the lawn, another sibling who was also dead. What happened here? How did they all fall out of their nest?
I feel bad about the two lost ones but I am hoping that I can do my best to take care of this little guy. To restore him to health and long life hopefully. I don't know if Junie (i named him after the month) is old enough to feed himself (or herself for that matter) on his own. I am hoping he comes to trust me so that I can help. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations that would help me, I would greatly appreciate it...

4 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I just clicked over from 5 Orange Potatoes. So sad to hear about his siblings but this little guy was so lucky you found him! Sending positive and healthy mockingbird thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes bird parents kick the babies out of the nest ... I don't really know why : it can be that the mother is exhausted.

Something else I know for sure : if the baby bird is doing ok at your place, don't try to send him back to his parents ... Because once you've touched the bird, the parents won't accept him back and will kick him out of the nest for sure ...
So sad ...

I hope this little bird will be ok !
I rescued so many mice from my cat, when she was still alive ... She was the greatest player of them all ...

x x x
___mathyld___

Lisa said...

We've been able to make a little soft nest in a flower pot for the baby, placed it up as high in the tree as we could, the mama found the baby and continued to feed her in the pot. All worked out well...the mama will still care for the babe if you have to touch her. Good luck.

Lisa :)

Eve said...

We found a baby mockingbird in our yard last year! It's legs seemed to be injured, it pitifully flopped along on useless legs. I kept it for a couple of days. Keeping it warm and fed was a full time job, so I found someone who rehabs wild birds and brought it to her. The stinky thing is that we called all the vets in our area and not one was interested in helping it, because it was wild.
-eve-