Pages

07 April 2009

more little seeds, more little sprouts.

As of today we have more than fifteen lavender sprouts! natalie loves looking every day now to see how much more has pushed their way through the soil and how big they are getting. we also have two tiny sprouts of baby breath from the pure and natural embedded packages we planted a little while ago.


it's a little hard to see in them in the photo above, but they are there, believe me! :) today i finally decided to do the herb tin can project idea that i found on kaboose. i decided to decorate mine a bit different. after i washed the cans and puncture the holes at the bottom for drainage, i decided to wrap them with a bag i had from the body shop. i loved the green color and used the inside of the bag for the outside of the tins. what's also pretty neat about their bags is that they are not like regular plastic bags. instead of taking years upon years to break down, their bags are specially made to break down in the earth within a year. why can't all bags be like that? it's great that i don't feel so bad throwing the scraps away!

after i wrapped the cans with glue, i tied a little natural hemp twine around them and then fastened them including little vintage buttons i got from my friend heather. one can was smooth, it had no ridges, so instead of wrapping it with the bag, i instead spray painted it with black chalkboard spray. i figured it would be great to just write on it what seeds where planted and if nat wanted to add a bit more decoration. they came out quite simple looking but i do like them. i also like the idea that this project is pretty much limitless in how you can decorate them. if any one decides to do this project, please send me a picture so i can post it! :)


once the cans were ready, we filled the bottoms with a few rocks (drainage) and nat set to work with putting in the soil, seeds and water. we planted lupine, nasturtium, sage and german chamomile.



love this picture above with the cameo of a dora cup in the background. ah...

of course, she had to lay in the grass again which is her new favorite thing to do.

so all the plants are gathered together. i am still looking for the right spot to put them. i wanted them here on my windowsill, next to the lavender sprouts but the bamboo box that they are in is wider than the windowsill. also, each plant has it's own needs of sunlight too so i am not sure if i will be seperating them. i made some tuna for nat for lunch and might see if the cans would work for the bottom of the planters to collect the water when it drains. if they do, i'll paint them with the chalkboard spray and it will be perfect. i'll let you know if i do :)

6 comments:

Mathyld / encore petite said...

Great project, sweetie !
And I love the cans, they look classy !
Ha ! And I loved the Dora-cup cameo !!!

I still have a little something to send your way ... But I don't have it yet ...

x x x
___m___

Heather said...

oh! love this! and so excited to see that the old buttons now have a new and brilliant life with the flowers-- much better than their previous life tucked away in a tin I bought at an estate sale.

Hehehe...we're big on Dora here too. Audrey had a dora birthday! We are surrounded with Dora cups as well....

Jennifer said...

wow. that tin can project sounds awesome. i'm seriously considering that now. i've always wanted to have a little herb garden.

yay for lavender sprouts! i'm so happy to see those :)

Johanna said...

Oh, I love these! What a perfect way to ring in Spring!!! I look forward to seeing these all full of green & flowers later on in the season...

apriliniowa said...

I purchased chalkboard paint a few weeks ago and am thinking of doing this very same thing. Love lavendar.

pomegranates said...

thank you all of you! i encourage you all to make your own too and don't forget to send me pictures, i'll post them! :)