Pages

22 May 2009

ravens and badger, thinkers and star heads

working on the cactus girl
i've finally picked up my pen and paper again and started drawing. i've been so inspired by so many things and so i have done quite a few different illustrations. the one above is not quite finished yet but i got the idea for her while we were in disneyland. the last ride rick and nattie went on is at the frontierland part of the park. as i waited for them, i just stared at the cactus plants that were around. i also thought of my mom because she loves cactus and i had just bought her two plants for mother's day.

speaking of my mom, i just finished a drawing that i call "she has stars in her head." i didn't mean for the girl to look like anyone in particular but once i was done, i realized she had a strong resemblance to my mom when she was younger. also, this drawing was inspired by a quote i had found earlier and twittered, His head is made of stars, but not yet arranged into constellations. - Elias Canetti.

she has stars in her head

i was also inspired by a little fact that i read earlier this week in a gardening catalog. i read that ravens, in japanese culture, are a symbol for family. i thought that was wonderful since i love blackbirds and they are not just all goth and death, you know. so here is my family of ravens, surrounded by little things that symbolize different aspects of family virtues to me.

a family of ravens

this morning i sent a little post out to amber of violet folklore. it's amazing the people you encounter and 'meet' on the internet! for the past few months i've been getting to know here a bit more and more. so i drew something for her and her precious little girl, mycie. i was inspired by mycie and her full name (mycelia which means mushrooms) so this is 'the moon shines upon the house of mycelia'.

the moon shines upon the house of mycelia

i completely another last night, with a badger, trees, stars and the moon. it is called 'he brings the secrets of the woods'. i will add all these originals (except for mycelia's house, of course) and add them to the shop, including a little woodlander thinking that i had done a couple of weeks ago.

four new originals

7 comments:

Snippety Gibbet said...

I love your drawings. What do you end up doing with them? jan

Unknown said...

i just listed these in my etsy shop, http://littlebighead.etsy.com
:)

Lisa said...

Lady, your art is my dreamworld! I just could never put it on paper the way you do.

-Lisa :)

Unknown said...

oh lisa! you are too too sweet!!! comments like these really help me out so i greatly appreciate it! :)

p.s. don't forget to email me, kay?!

Marina said...

Such lovely work that you do! I'm so looking forward to seeing more and following your blog! (and Totoro is one of my favorite films as well :) !)

Robin Norgren-Life Coach Living in Arizona said...

Your art is just amazing.

emilyclare said...

I am constantly in awe of your creations, beautiful and whimiscal and child-like.. I love the mushroom house best (and want to live there asap)