Valentine's day of last year, Natalie 'received' a letter from Hogwarts by 'owl'. She was so thrilled to get a little note and gift from her 'friends' in the wizarding world. Ever since then she has asked me to find the address from Hogwarts so she can write her friends back. Initially I stalled, saying that it was very difficult to get the address but that I would try. Since then, she has received a halloween card from 'Harry, Ron, Hermoine and Ginny' and I plan to send her more things from 'them'.
A few weeks ago she just couldn't wait anymore so she began writing (or drawing, actually) her letters to her magical friends. I finally worked it out with Rick's mom to have me send Nat's letters to Hogwarts to her address. I figured since she is still learning how to read and that I put the address after she is done, that I can get away with this for a little while (at least). I also told her that this is the American address that we can send it to until an owl picks it up to take it Hogwarts. I want to buy a very nice box that she can store those letters in until Nat is older and we can present to her a piece of her childhood imagination.
I offered to help her with her letters by getting out my wax and seal for them. She liked choosing different colors and different seals for each one of her friends.
I am constantly in love with the way her mind works and how everything is still so exciting and magical to her.
There are some things I have found on etsy that I've been wanting to get for her sent by her friends, of course. Here are some of the items:
- owl soap with gryffindor scarf by eternal sunshine
- another owl soap from eternal sunshine, in purple, one of Natalie's favorite colors
- a hedwig bookbag from atlantis804
- a daily prophet spiral journal and badge, both from celeste frittata (where I got Natalie's first post from Hogwarts)
- I admit, I have my eye on celeste frittata's hardback journals in astronomy and herbology. For Nat though, her herbology notebook and care of magical creatures if she offers it in notebook style as well.
- I also think aromatherapy lavender's healing mother and child owls are very cute
- this plush owl print from folksy would hang nicely somewhere in her room
- she would probably love this gryffindor charm bracelet by winemaker's sister
She also has been begging to go the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Actually it was an email 'owl' that I sent her from 'Harry' that got her so excited to write to her letters. At the Wizarding World they will actually have a post office where you can send letters from that will bear an authentic Hogsmeade postmark. I'm a grown up but I can't help but to be completely sucked into this wonderful, imaginative and very magical world. And for now, it would seem, my daughter is exactly the same way.